Friday, March 28, 2008

I Heart Eating

I like to eat. Seriously. I really like to eat. Eating is a sensual experience for me (not sexual…there’s a significant difference). I do not eat just to provide my body with sufficient nutrients to function properly, but I engage all my senses. My eyes admire the colors and plating, my ears hear the sizzle (if any), my nose smells the delectable scents, and my mouth and tongue feel the different textures and taste the combination of flavors. *sigh* Puts me in a rapturous mood just thinking about it.

I am one of those people who can be groaning about how full I am, but still talk incessantly about food and what my next meal will entail. Yeah, don’t judge me. We all have our little eccentricities.

Some people feel it is too much trouble to cook just for themselves. Unless they’re cooking for a bunch of people, they will settle for a peanut butter sandwich or cereal for dinner. I am not one of those people. I totally feel like I deserve a great meal if that is what I want (I have gone the cereal route before and that’s fine if you’re in the mood). I will make myself an appetizer, entrée and dessert. I’ll dirty multiple pans and plates just for me. No one else. I truly think those other people don’t love themselves enough.

I think it is my love of eating that triggers my joy for cooking. Cooking can be very creative. I can’t draw (unless you count stick figures). I can’t do crafts (I’ve been a paste-in-hair-can’t-cut-in-a-straight-line kind of kid since kindergarten). I don’t play a musical instrument well (I know, I know, 11 years of piano and I can only play “Chopsticks?” What a waste of my parents’ well-earned money). My poetry is sophomoric and pretentious. What creative outlet is open to me but cooking? And it melds so nicely with the fact that I love to eat! I am one of those people lucky enough to usually really enjoy what I make.

Except for the Grand Marnier soufflé. That was a total disaster; and not even Julia Child could have fixed it. Not even if she could do magic. How can something be rubbery and hard and mushy at the same time?

Other things are on the fence…like when I added peanut butter to this hamburger and chile mixture to serve over rice. Not a winner, but not horrible either. I think I just needed more heat (should have used sambal)…

And sometimes things turn out fantastic. The frustrating thing is that it is often difficult to recreate those dishes. I tend to use whatever I have on hand and throw in on a whim whatever I think would work well together. If it turns out to be a keeper, I can’t remember what I put in it the previous time and then, of course, it doesn’t quite taste the same. Bleh.

Of course, I am writing all this immediately after finishing a meal. Or should I say, experiencing my meal! I made this chicken dish with bacon, garlic, rosemary and lemon. Pretty darn good, if I do say so myself! And I do! Happy eating . . .

No comments: